Pursuant to applicable data protection laws, bear in mind that:
If you live in a country outside the European Economic Area, collection of your personal data shall be governed according to the privacy laws of South Africa.
If information indicated as required is not provided, we might be unable to process your user registration or the use of certain Services available in the Platform.
In order to register and navigate the Platform, you need to be older than 17. WorkInSouthAfrica.com may use your personal information to verify your age and ensure the enforcement of this restriction.
No one under 18 years of age is authorized to use the Service, and we do not intentionally collect, use, store, disclose, or otherwise process Personal Information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian of a person under the age of 16 who has submitted Personal Information, please contact us at email@example.com.
2. Legal basis for processing the personal data
Collection and processing of your personal data is based primarily in the contractual and/or non-contractual relationship you have with us.
When we send you newsletters and Services or when we use the email you have provided us to contact you individually or to recognize you when you return to visit our website, we are doing so under the informed consent.
How we process the information collected by our cookies is based in the informed consent you provide, pursuant to current legislation.
3. Personal information we collect
In order to register in the Platform and identify yourself, we will request your email and date of birth.
To create your profile in the Platform you may include personal information such as your country or city of residence, a photograph, first and last names, education, work experience, and any other additional information you might want to share in your profile. The profile information helps you make the most out of our Services, like helping other professionals find you and finding business opportunities or projects you might be interested in. However, if you do not want this information to be published, you may leave the profile information fields blank or delete the information already provided.
To buy or subscribe to our services, we will request your credit card or debit information, including expiration date and CVV. If you are paying with PayPal, we will request the email associated with it. If you are paying with 2checkout, we will redirect you to that payment platform. If you request an invoice, we will request your invoicing data, if needed.
When you visit or use our Services, We register data such as frequency of use, date and time Services were accessed, when you see or click a specific content, your package preferences, projects you are sharing or content you publish. We use information when you log in, when you read our emails, and Internet protocol (“IP”) addresses to identify you and register your use in the Platform.
We do not make decisions based on profiles, beyond personalization of advertisement and for the purpose of the legitimate prevention of Internet fraud.
We obtain information through other platforms, for example, when you register via Facebook or similar technologies. This might include personal texts or images available in an external website.
4. Purpose of the processing
WorkInSouthAfrica.com, as the Data Controller, will process your personal data for the following purposes:
- Manage your registration as Platform user, to identify you and give you access to Services available for registered Platform users.
- The development, compliance and execution of the contract for the provision of services such as the sale of or subscription to WorkInSouthAfrica.com services or any other contract We might have through the Platform. You will need to keep in mind that:
You expressly authorize us to process the data indicated as required for activation and payment processing. The card’s security code (CVV or CVC) will only be used to process the purchase in course and will not be stored or processed afterwards, as part of your payment information. The consent for the activation of this feature allows your data to autofill in future purchases, so you do not need to re-enter payment information every time you make a purchase. The data enter will be assumed valid and current in future purchases. You will be able to modify or delete your credit cards or PayPal account at any time through the payment method in the purchase form or through the payment method setting in your WorkInSouthAfrica.com subscription. We store and release card information in accordance to international confidentiality and security standards for credit and debit cards. For security reasons, the use of this feature might require changing of your password. Remember, the safety of the Platform also depends on the correct use and storage of confidential passwords.
- Recommending jobs that match your profile.
- Contacting you through email regarding updates or information related to features, products or services contracted, including Platform security updates, as long as they are needed or reasonable.
- Respond to any request or inquiry you make through the customer service channels available at our Platform.
- We also use your information to generate aggregated non-identifying data. For instance, generate statistics regarding our users, their jobs or areas of expertise, number of impressions or clicks in a specific package or project or visitor demographics.
5. PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED
We may collect different types of information from you depending on how you use our Service, including Personal Information. “Personal Information” means information that relates to an identified or identifiable natural person. The categories of Personal Information we may collect are listed below. Certain types of Personal Information may fall under more than one category.
- Identifiers: We may collect your first and last name, email address, username, social media usernames, mailing address, telephone number, Internet Protocol address, software, hardware, and device identifiers, and online identifiers.
- Commercial information: We may collect your payment information and transaction history (e.g., your subscriptions).
- Internet or other similar network activity: We may collect information about your interaction with the Service (e.g., your internet service provider, referral pages, the content you view on the Service, the dates you access that content, and the length of time you view that content).
- Protected classification characteristics: We may collect your age and date of birth.
- Geolocation data: We may collect your location.
- Sensory data: We may collect your voice, appearance, likeness, video, profile picture, and other images you upload to the Service or share from your social media platforms.
- Categories of personal information: We may collect your first and last name, signature, physical characteristics, mailing address, telephone number, bank account information, credit or debit card number, or other financial information provided.
- Other categories: We may collect information from the content that you share publicly in the Service through its public functions (e.g., your biographical information, the links you share on the Service to your personal website(s), your comments, posts, and reviews on the Service’s forum, blog, Package review, and other social media pages) or share with us through direct communications. We may also collect your friends and contacts list through your social media platforms.
We may also collect information that does not generally identify you but may become associated with your account. We may use information that does not identify you for any permissible business purpose under applicable law.
6. SOURCES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Directly From You
We may collect your Personal Information when you provide it to us directly. For example:
- When you create or update your account, we may collect your name and email address.
- When you purchase a service or subscription, we may collect your payment information and a record of your transaction history.
- When you use the public functions in the Service such as your user profile, we may collect the information you choose to disclose (e.g., your biographical information, the links you share on the Service to your personal website(s), your comments, posts, and reviews on the Service’s forum, blog, Package review, and other social media pages).
- When you register or login onto the Platform using certain third party social media platforms, such as Facebook Connect or Google (each, an “Authentication Service”), we may collect your username, profile picture, age, date of birth, email address, and friends and contacts list.
- When you contact us or report a problem with the Service, we may collect records and copies of your correspondence.
- When you submit a copyright infringement claim, our copyright agent may collect your signature, mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
- When you respond to a survey or questionnaire, we may collect the information provided.
Automatically From You
From Third Parties
We may receive your Personal Information from or through third parties that help us provide or facilitate your access to the Service. For example, we may receive your Personal Information from social media platforms, advertising partners, payment processors, and customer support partners.
- If you login to the Service using an Authentication Service or use an image from your Facebook, Twitter, or other social media accounts as your profile picture on the Service, we may collect your account information and profile picture from those social media platforms. To control the settings on the information you share with us through these social media platforms, please refer to the applicable third party Authentication Service.
6.1. Data retention period
We will retain your personal data for as long as we have a valid contractual relationship, and after that, for the period determined by any obligations arising from the treatment of the data or as established by law.
7. Data Recipients
- Service Providers: in order to provide services in our name or to help us provide our services. For example, we contract service providers to render marketing, advertising, communication, infrastructure and IT services, to customize and improve our service, to process credit card transactions or other methods of payment, provide customer service, collect debts, analyse and improve data (such as data regarding user interaction with our services), and process and manage satisfaction surveys. For efficiency purposes, these partners and providers may be based in the US or other countries or territories outside of the European Economic Area, and might not provide a data protection level comparable to that of your country, or the European Union’s.
you automatically, but you can restrict or disable those cookies.
8. PURPOSES OF COLLECTION
- To provide or improve the Service – We may use your Personal Information to process your requests to access the Service and to generally provide and improve the Service. For example, we may use your Personal Information to improve a Package.
- To administer the Service – We may use your Personal Information for any lawful business purpose in connection with administering the Service. For example, if you reach out to us with a customer service inquiry, we may use your Personal Information to respond to you or to troubleshoot an issue you reported having with the Service. By way of another example, we may use your Personal Information to collect applicable fees related to the Service.
- To market the Service – We may use your Personal Information to market the Service to you. For example, we may send you news and updates about the Service if you do not opt-out of such communications (described in Section 9 below). By way of another example, we may use your Personal Information to enhance and personalize your shopping experiences and for other promotional purposes.
- In connection with a sale or other transfer of our business – In the event all or some of our assets are sold, assigned, or transferred to or acquired by another company due to merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy, or otherwise, your Personal Information may be among the transferred assets.
- As may be described to you when collecting your Personal Information.
9. Information about cookies
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
Cookies are small data file identifiers that are transferred to your computer or mobile web browser that allow us and third parties to recognize your browser or mobile device and transfer information about you and your use of our Service.
Our Cookies and Similar Technologies
Third Party Cookies
Browser Settings and Choices about Cookies
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to restrict cookies or disable them altogether. However, restricting or disabling cookies may prevent you from using some of the features of the Platform.
Please note that we do not respond to a “Do Not Track” signal from your browser or mobile application due to lack of standardization regarding how that signal is to be interpreted.
10. YOUR PREFERENCES AND OPTIONS
Modifying Your Personal Information. You can modify your account information at any time by logging into your account, clicking on “My Account”, and then the “Edit Contact Information” link. In addition, you may modify any Personal Information in your user profile at any time. We may keep a copy of the prior version of this information for our records. If you have questions about how to modify or remove your account information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have chosen to connect your Work In South Africa account to a third party social media platform (e.g., Facebook), you may modify permissions by changing your account settings in that third party platform.
Opting-Out of Marketing Communications. If you no longer wish to receive email advertisements, you may opt-out at any time by: (i) clicking the opt-out/unsubscribe option contained in each commercial email; (ii) going to your account information and changing your communication preference settings; or (iii) emailing at us at email@example.com. Please note that it may take up to 48 hours for the system to fully update your preferences. Opting out of these communications will not impact emails or other communications we send you regarding your use of the Service (orders, policies, updates, etc.).
Deletion of Your Personal Information. Subject to the additional notices provided to EU and California residents in Sections 10 and 11, if you no longer want us to provide the Service to you, you may request that we delete your Personal Information and close your Work In South Africa account. If you request the deletion of your Personal Information: (a) your information will be deleted from our databases; (b) we may retain some of your information as necessary to improve safety and legal compliance such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety (for example, if we suspend a Work In South Africa account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain certain information from that Work In South Africa account to prevent that user from opening a new Work In South Africa account in the future); (c) we may retain and use your information to the extent necessary to comply with the law (for example, Work In South Africa may keep some of your information for tax, legal, and auditing obligations); and (d) information you have shared with others (e.g., comments made on our platform) may continue to be publicly visible on the Service, even after your Work In South Africa account is deleted.
Withdrawing Your Consent. Where you have provided your consent to the processing of your Personal Information by us, you may withdraw your consent at any time by changing your account settings or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org specifically identifying the consent being withdrawn.
Published on December 22, 2021