KZN man who made WhatsApp audios for all foreigners to be attacked identified, he is Philani Gumede

0

A 36-year-old man who allegedly created voice notes and then forwarded them to incite violence against foreign nationals who came to seek employment in South Africa has made his first appearance in court today.

Philani Gumede appeared in the Durban Magistrate’s Court today on a charge of incitement to commit public violence and contravening Section 14 of the Cyber Crimes Act by publishing harmful data messages.

He was released on R5 000 bail.


Article continues below these jobs

The National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson in KZN, Natasha Kara said it is alleged that Gumede created and forwarded a voice note to members of Operation Dulula, asking people to gather and remove foreign nationals and their goods and lock up the shops.

Kara said Gumede bails conditions are as follows:

– He is not allowed to use his social media platforms to invite/encourage any violence against foreign nationals.

– He must report to the investigating officer when he wants to leave the Durban or KwaZulu-Natal.

– He must report to his local police station every Friday between 6am and 6pm.

Gumede will return to court on May 24.

According to police spokesperson Brigadier Jay Naicker, police nabbed the man after they were informed of a voice message that was being circulated, allegedly provoking the public to mobilise and commit acts of violence against certain people as well as damage their property.

“Police were informed of a voice message that was being circulated, allegedly provoking the public to mobilise and commit acts of violence against certain people as well as damage their property. The suspect was identified after a rigorous investigation and was arrested by detectives from the eThekwini District on Tuesday and detained at the Durban Central SAPS.”

In July last year, 350 people lost their lives during the looting and civil unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng which cost the economy R50 billion.