Operation Dudula to have a branch in Durban, join forces with All Truck Drivers & disrupt transport

0

Police in KwaZulu-Natal remain on high alert after Durban officials denied an application for a march by Operation Dudula supporters for Sunday who had vowed to launch their operation in KZN and drive out all foreigners who came to the city to get a job in South Africa.

The supporters wanted to launch a Dudula branch in Durban and then march through the city. After being denied permission, various individuals took to social media to say the activities have been postponed to April, when they will be joined by the All Truck Drivers Forum and Allied SA (ATDF ASA) who want to disrupt transport logistics in the city.

Operation Dudula is a national campaign launched in Soweto last year to stop so-called illegal immigrants from living and operating businesses in certain areas. Last week its national leader Nhlanhla “Lux” Dlamini was arrested after the organisation raided and damaged the home of a Soweto resident. Dlamini remains in jail and will appear before the Roodepoort magistrate’s court on Monday.


Article continues below these jobs

ATDF ASA is a group of local truck drivers who have been behind various truck blockades on SA’s national and major transport routes. They are at odds with the national bargaining council for the road freight and logistics industry over wage negotiations and the ongoing employment of foreign nationals by the big operators.

Police are adamant that they will remain vigilant and warned that those who break the law will be strictly dealt with.

“Following voice notes and other messages threatening violence and criminality in KwaZulu-Natal, police officers and other security forces are prepared to react to any event which may contribute to the breakdown of law and order. Police officers will be deployed strategically to respond swiftly and deal with those who act unlawfully,” said police spokesperson Jay Naicker.

He said security forces have also taken note that the planned launch event at the Gugu Dlamini Park for Sunday was not approved by the eThekwini municipality as permission was not obtained by the organisers from the parks and recreation department.

“We are appealing to those that may react to the misleading voice notes, not to partake in any activity where the laws of the country may be broken. We once again urge our citizens to refrain from reposting voice notes and messages that they receive as some of them are obviously fake. Police will not hesitate to deal decisively with those found contravening the law,” added Naicker.